- Current Canine Program initiated in 1990 with 4 Dogs
- Waterloo Police currently has 3 certified working dogs
- All canine handlers are assigned to the Patrol Division and handle their canine responsibilities in addition to their patrol duties.
- The Waterloo Police Canine unit uses German Shepards and Belgian Malinois
- Canines and their handlers undergo six weeks of training before being certified for duty.
- The canine program averages more than 160 Narcotics Searches, 80 Building Searches, 55 Tracking calls, and 25 Officer assists annually in addition to numerous public demonstrations.